A trading plan is your rule book for successful trading. It does not have to be complicated. Keep it simple, and more importantly follow it rigorously.
The Following should be part your trading plan – personalize it to your trading/investing style.
1. Start with a positive quote or something that gets you motivated and excited
2. Daily trading goal
3. Daily trading strategy
5. Time Window Strategy
6. X-Y-Z goals
Below is a sample trading plan
1. I can’t change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination – Jimmy Dean
2. Daily trading goal: $150.00 per day
3. Daily trading strategy: Buying qualified support and selling qualified resistance after strong buying/selling signals are presented by the market. No overnight positions.
- Price range $10 to $50
- Volume minimum 400,000
- Swing Trend: Closes above/below swing points
5. Time Window Strategy: Two trade per hour on average with the goals of trading for 3 hours per day and hitting or exceeding the daily dollar goal.
6. X-Y-Z goals
- $150 per day
- $750 per week
- $3000 per month
A critical aspect of trading that is often overlooked by most is managing losses. It’s against human nature to lose or even think about losing. We live our life in the realm of winning all the time. And that is how it should be. But in trading losing sometimes is as good as winning. Therefore, you should a good stop loss strategy as part of your winning trading plan.